So you are trying to save some green right? You’re in the right place, I promise and I am not going to tell you to spend your way to wealth either don’t run out and buy every new energy star related product just to save some money. Yes they use less energy but why break the bank if you can just change a few habits and use less power, First whenever you get your electric bill in the mail do you ever look over it or just pay it because you feel as though you have no choice as what you can do to lower that bill.As promised I am going to walk you thru a simple series of steps to help save you money in New England without ever paying a cent!
- Did you know you have a choice where you buy your power from. Yes you heard me the monopoly has been broken up you now have a choice where you buy your power from. This will be your biggest impact to save money on your energy bill. All you have to do is go on your local utility’s website and look under other suppliers and find one that will fit your needs. Just make sure they are licensed to do business in your state. finding another supplier will probably be the easiest way to save money that’s why I put it as number one.
- Use a surge protected power strip behind your tv console with an on/off switch that way you can shut off all of those energy stealing monsters!
- Unplug all of your appliances on your counters when not in use they use power even when turned off according to the us department of energy 25 % of all energy is used up by theme electronics when not in use!
- Did you know that the coils on the bottom and back of our fridge gets dirty with lint and needs to be cleaned in order to remain in optimal energy efficiency. Take 20 mins and clean out them coils it will save you a small fortune over the years!
- Use your dishwasher only when it is at full capacity it uses just as much power to clean a full load as it does a half load and turn off the dry cycle when the dishes are compleated open the door and slide out the racks and let them air dry.
- open your shades during the sunny days in the winter let the heat from the sun warm up your space without the chill of outdoors just remember to lower before dusk.
- Use a programmable thermostat if you have one if not do it manually to turn down the heat at night while your sleeping or not at home during working hours.
- shut off lights as we leave the rooms i know its hard habit to break but well worth the effort!
- If you are in an area that uses well water put a brick in your toilet tank as it will displace water that it used to flush most toilets don’t need that many gallons per flush to work effectively.
- And last but not least use a fan in a window blowing out up stairs if you have a two level home with the windows opened in the lower level as this will drive all that hot air and replace with cooler air from ground level.
I hope this all makes sence to you if it does it Will make cents to you!
Please comment if you have more energy-saving tips together for a more sustainable planet!
Most consumers do not clearly understand how the utility structures their rates and how that affects their electricity and natural gas costs.Being educated how the rates are charged is one of the many things a person can do to manage an energy saving task for any company or facility in New England.
Energy Deregulation also aids in creating a opportunity to decrease costs and increase your bottom-line!
Deregulation has created a great way for you to save money and manage your costs thru a projected cost analyzes, but it also has created a whole new risk for the uninformed energy user.
At First Point Energy we will take the time to ensure that the energy user understands his or her needs and how it impacts their potential savings plan!
Energy Saving Tips For the Warmer Weather to come!
Now that we are getting ready for spring you might want to consider getting ready for some spring cleaning!
Every year we get ready for the warmer weather organizing closets, cleaning out flower beds, but have you ever considered getting ready for spring the energy smart way by saving dollars by raising your energy IQ!
Tip number one. Turn back your fans, most people turn the fans to circulate the warmer air down to the floor in the winter but forget to turn them back the other way for the spring. This is one way to save some money for the upcoming months!
#2 Turn down your water heater to the 120 degree setting as you can use cooler water temps to bathe in since we don’t need to have that sauna tub like we all craved in the winter!
#3 Try to find air leaks and seal them up as they tend to use up 44% of all energy per national averages!
#4 Use a good cold water detergent for washing your laundry in, cold water washing is just as effective as hot water with the right detergent and 14 % more efficient!
subscribe to my newsletter for more energy-saving tips, together we can make a more sustainable world!
List of Deregulated States
Electricity Natural Gas
District of Columbia District of Columbia
New Hampshire Massachusetts
New Jersey Michigan
New York New Hampshire
Ohio New Jersey
Pennsylvania New York
Rhode Island North Carolina
The electricity market is divided in two portions the lines and meters aka delivery and supply which is the amount of power you use in kilowatt-hours or kwh.
The power plants that generate the power to the grid up until deregulation had one customer the local utility. The local utility would then turn around and sell back the power to the end-user the customer which was a prime example of the board game Monopoly.
The Electricity Market is separated into delivery provided by the local utility/supply, which can be provided by competitive suppliers.
Residential and business customers now have the ability to choose their energy supplier and pay lower rates than the utility charges , while the utility will continue to deliver the power, repair any service problems and consolidate our charge on their bill for your convenience!
Now the customer has more options to purchase power at a cheaper rate and save money!
Thank you for reading my post I hope this information makes it easier when comparing what is your best option for cheaper energy!